105-107 Forsyth Street
132D Nightingale Hall
Boston, MA 02115
ATTN: Jose Sierra, 202 WVH
360 Huntington Avenue
Boston, MA 02115
- Critical Infrastructures Cybersecurity
- Information Security Strategy and Governance
- Technology innovations in Cyber Threats and Cyber Defenses
- PhD in Computer Science, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid
- MSc in Computer Science, Universidad de Málaga
- MSc in Business Administration, Universidad Rey Juan Carlos
- Applied Cyber Security, MIT Professional Education – MIT
Jose Sierra is an Associate Teaching Professor and the Assistant Director of Information Assurance Graduate Programs at Northeastern University’s College of Computer and Information Science. He earned his PhD from Carlos III University in 2000. Jose’s research areas include cybersecurity and information assurance, and he is both a Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) and Certified Information Security Manager (CISM). Jose has spent time working on projects in both the government and defense sectors.
- Hometown: Brookline
- Field of research/teaching: Information Assurance Program
What are the specifics of your educational background?
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
- Certified Information Security Manager (CISM)
What are your research interests?
My research interests have been centered on the design, implementation and management of security services for interconnected systems. Initially, my research was based on the foundations of some cryptographic algorithms and later focused on their use for the implementation of security protocols. In recent years my research has evolved to cybersecurity management and how organizations can take strategic decisions, which will help them to counteract cyberthreats.
What courses/subjects do you teach?
Computer Systems Security
What do you enjoy most or find most rewarding about what you teach?
Their different backgrounds and the variety of their industry experiences.
Where did you grow up or spend your most defining years?
My research was conducted at the International Computer Science Institute at UC Berkeley.
Where did you study?
My research work at MIT both at the CSAIL and IC3 (Sloan).
What are the specifics of your industry experience?
I have participated in numerous projects mostly for the governmental and defense sectors.